Saturday, March 8, 2008

Preparing Parts for Paint and Powdercoat

I have been disassembling my latest 700 for a couple of weeks now off and on, and sorting parts into piles. One pile to go to the powder coater, one pile to the painter, and one pile for cleaning and reassembly. This part sucks because you have major decisions to make that can affect every part of the project, and you don't want to impact it negatively. I decided early on to repaint as the tank needed body work, the fairing was scraped up from a crash I am guessing, and I had decals to do all of this. I was going to paint everything including the frame, but decided to powder coat it after to talking to a painter.

I really struggled with how to redo this bike as it was in decent enough shape that with a few parts and some cleaning it would have been a decent enough bike once put back together. The downside though is that it has sat for over 10 years, so all of the seals are likely shot, the bearings likely need replacement, and the bike was dirty as heck. The motor did run though and I had run it in my first bike for about 200 miles before swapping it out because it leaked oil from a crack in the lower case.

Taking into account all of the parts I would need to put into it, I decided the bike wouldn't be worth as much as my investment if I didn't do a 100% job on the rebuild. As such I have decided to do a ground up rebuild of the bike replacing much of the worn or broken parts with new OEM parts. I decided to replace every bearing and seal on the bike including the wheels, swingarm, and head. I would make the bike as near to showroom new as possible.

I have been acquiring other as necessary, some OEM and some aftermarket. The major components I have been able to get new are as follows:
  • Dynojet kit for stage 1&2
  • Carburetor kits for all 4 carbs - new O-rings and float needles
  • Progressive springs for the front
  • K&N air filter
  • New fork seals and wipers
  • Front brake pads and rear brake shoes
  • Kits for the master cylinders for brake and clutch
  • Kit for the clutch Slave cylinder
  • Kits for the front brake calipers to make them like new
  • New mirrors
  • Wheel bearing kits for the front and rear
  • Head-Pipe bearing kit and seals
  • I have many others too numerous to mention, and have more to order

I am still looking for a deal on Galfer cables for brake and clutch as well as Progressive shocks and springs for the rear wheel.

The items I have decided to powder coat are the following:
  • The Frame
  • The Triple Tree top and bottom
  • The swingarm not including the gear transfer case which is pristine
  • The brake mechanism from the rear wheel
  • The mounting brackets for the engine
  • The rear grab-bar that mounts to the fairing
  • The handle bars if I can figure out how to remove the plastic from the LH side
  • The foot peg mounting brackets for the front pegs along with other Peg parts
  • About 10 other small parts

I have decided to paint the following items:

  • The tank - needs to be sealed and dents removed as well
  • The fairing - needs repair and body work
  • The tail fairing - in good shape except for the current decals
  • The side covers - also in good shape except for the current decals
  • The front fender and mounting bracket

My next steps are to work on the remaining parts I will need for this build. I need to get a brake master cylinder as the one I have is shot. I also need to get rear mounting brackets for the pegs as those are shot as well. I'll keep looking on Ebay for those items, and if weather permits I may go out to the junkyard to do some prospecting. I'll upload some pictures when I get a chance.

No comments: