Saturday, March 29, 2008

Finally - Powdercoating begins



I finally have everything sorted out and have the pile for the powder coater, so I dropped it off on Friday the 28th. Of course, as soon as I got home that night I realized I had a couple more smaller items to have them do as well - so I will need to drop off when I pick up. That is how it goes. Here is how the frame looked before powder. It is actually in pretty good shape, but very very dirty. The engine that was in this bike had an oil leak and you can see much of that on the lower portions of the frame. I am excited to see how it looks when I get it back.

I also dropped off several other items including the swingarm, triple tree, the rear grab rail, and many other small components for the frame. The dude at the powder coater commented that they don't normally get that many small parts, but it wasn't a problem. I also am having them do the master cylinders for clutch and brake, and the two brake calipers. The item I forgot to drop off were the covers for the carburetors. I have seen a set with the covers powder coated and it looks awesome. I'll bring them in when I take the luggage racks down, so it will be OK.

Yes, I said luggage racks (plural) and in this case multiple. I decided that since I can't seem to buy a used luggage rack for this this bike I will make my own. I have purchased 25 feet of 1/2 inch round solid aluminum, and some 5/8 round solid as well as some 3/16 x 2 inch flat. I have also purchased a small cutoff saw, a rod bender, and will use a solder brazing technique to make the racks. I plan to make at least three, and more if I can sell them. The last one I saw on e-Bay went for over $200, so if I can sell just one at that price I will break even. Just what I need - another project.

I also hit a minor setback this past couple of weeks dealing with paint. When I had originally purchased the bikes, they came with all of the decals to do the repaint, at least I thought. Upon review it seems I was missing both of the decals for the rear fairing. This shouldn't be a problem as they are supposedly available from Honda, but when I did the ordering I found out I can get the right one is discontinued. I have found another source that supposedly has one and have it on order with them now, so I am hopeful. That is the last item I will need for this restore before I go to paint. I did find out the label for the fuel tank and the right side cover are discontinued, and are nowhere to be found. Great! So much for authenticity.

I have ordered the remaining parts I am getting new, and have ordered from three separate vendors as the first two didn't have or couldn't get everything. I just received the orders from the first two, and you just gotta love the look of new parts in bags. Now all I need to do is remember where it all goes and I am set.

2 comments:

Commandant's Weekend said...

I'm VERY interested in how your luggage racks turn out. Post some pics and get them up on eBay. I'll bet you'll make some cool cash before you know it.

J. said...

I, too, have been looking for a luggage rack for my cb700sc. Bums me out to hear that they go for 200 on ebay. Good luck on yours. I'm sure you'll sell them. I just saw some guy with 2 sets of color matched hardbags, one set blue, one set red. He said he paid like 700 for them.